Implant Dentures — Murphy, TX
Regain the Strong & Stable Smile You Deserve
In the past, the only treatment option for people with severe tooth loss was removable dentures. While certainly better than nothing, these classic prosthetics were still a far cry from the stability and functionality of natural teeth. Modern-day dentures are now better than ever, but many individuals still find them frustrating. At Murphy Family Implant and Cosmetic Dentistry, we can help you regain the strong and stable smile you deserve with custom-made implant dentures! This state-of-the-art tooth loss solution can boost your quality of life, confidence, and health! To discover if implant dentures are right for you, don’t hesitate to contact us.
What Are Implant Dentures?
Like their traditional counterparts, implant dentures consist of an acrylic, gum-colored base that is shaped to fit over your gums. Replacement teeth are set securely in them, made from high-quality materials that are lifelike and durable. The key difference lies in how these prosthetics stay in place.
Traditional dentures rely on suction, adhesive, or metal clasps to stay in the correct position. Alternatively, implant dentures are anchored into place via several strategically placed dental implants. These small titanium posts function like the roots of a natural tooth, providing a strong foundation directly in the jawbone. Depending on your preferences and needs, we may suggest one of the following.
Fixed/Permanent Implant Dentures
As their name implies, permanent implant dentures are designed to stay fixed in place, only to be removed by a dentist. You’ll wear your permanent implant dentures while you talk, eat, brush, and sleep!
Removable Implant Dentures
Alternatively, removable implant dentures can snap onto and off of the dental implants that support it. This allows you to take out your denture when needed, and also typically requires fewer dental implants.
The Implant Denture Procedure
After we’ve ensured you’re a good candidate for implant dentures and have planned out your entire treatment, we’ll schedule your implant placement. This minor surgical procedure is performed right here in house. Small incisions will be made in your gums at the predetermined areas and the dental implants will be placed into the jawbone. The jaw and implants will fuse in a process called osseointegration over the next three to six months, at which point you’ll return to our office to have your brand-new denture anchored in place.
Am I a Candidate for Implant Dentures?
To be considered a good candidate for implant dentures, you’ll need to have these three qualities:
- Good overall health: You need to be well enough to undergo minor surgery
- Great dental health: Oral health issues like gum disease can threaten the success of dental implants. Once your mouth is healthy, we can move on with your implant treatment.
- Adequate jawbone density: There needs to be enough jawbone tissue for the dental implants to fuse with. If you have inadequate jawbone density, we may be able to help with a bone graft.
Benefits of Combining Dentures & Dental Implants
- Dramatically improved biting power
- Prevent jawbone deterioration and the sunken, aged facial appearance that comes with it
- Easy maintenance, just like natural teeth
- Save thousands of dollars in replacements alone
- Results that can potentially last a lifetime